Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a proactive framework of evidence-based strategies and systems that assist schools in creating environments that are predictable, consistent, positive and safe. Benefits include improving academic performance and safety, decreasing challenging behaviors, and establishing a positive school climate for students and staff. PBIS has relevant applications to educating ALL students.
Characteristics of PBIS schools include:
- Common purpose and approach to discipline
- Clear set of school-wide behavioral expectations
- Procedures for teaching school-wide expectations
- Continuum of procedures to encourage appropriate behavior and discourage inappropriate behavior
- Ongoing monitoring and evaluation procedures
Additional information is also available on: